Piano solo (Piano solo) - Henle Level 7
Composed by Ludwig van Beethoven. Edited by Murray Perahia and Norbert Gertsch. Arranged by Murray Perahia. Sheet music. Paperbound. Henle Music Folios. Classical. Softcover. 28 pages. G. Henle #HN1062. Published by G. Henle (HL.51481062).
ISBN 9790201810621. UPC: 884088924522. 9.5x12.0x0.095 inches.
Sonata quasi una fantasia was the title given to it by Beethoven, and yet the world of music knows it as the Moonlight Sonata – an epithet that was already around during the composer's lifetime. “The lake rests quiet under the light of the moon at twilight; the wave thuds against the dark bank,” wrote Ludwig Rellstab on the 1st movement in 1823. “It is as if we catch sight of a collassal grave in the middle of a lonely plain, palely lit by the sickle moon,” was what Wilhelm von Lenz wrote. Beethoven might have been influenced by the sound of the Aeolian harp, as Murray Perahia and Norbert Gertsch explain in the introductory texts to this edition, referring to the latest research. Perahia also provided the fingerings.
About Henle Urtext
What I can expect from Henle Urtext editions:
- error-free, reliable musical texts based on meticulous musicological research - fingerings and bowings by famous artists and pedagogues
- preface in 3 languages with information on the genesis and history of the work
- Critical Commentary in 1 – 3 languages with a description and evaluation of the sources and explaining all source discrepancies and editorial decisions
- most beautiful music engraving
- page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- excellent print quality and binding
- largest Urtext catalogue world-wide
- longest Urtext experience (founded 1948 exclusively for "Urtext" editions)