Piano (Piano solo) - L8
Composed by Johannes Brahms. Edited by Andreas Boyde and Katrin Eich. Arranged by Andreas Boyde. Sheet music. Paperbound. Henle Music Folios. Revised single edition (from HN 38). Classical. Softcover. 36 pages. G. Henle #HN1289. Published by G. Henle (HL.51481289).
ISBN 9790201812892. UPC: 888680716400. 9.5x12.0x0.164 inches.
Johannes Brahms' Piano Sonatas, Op. 1, 2 and 5 were among the first works that the 20-year-old composer published. They were composed in 1852/53, although this “Sonata in F-sharp minor” was apparently the first of the three to be composed, as it was finished by November 1852. This work has a special place in his oeuvre. Besides its passionate atmosphere, his contemporaries discerned it to be “serious and dignified in character.” Brahms dedicated this sonata to Clara Schumann, whose husband Robert wrote to the composer that “Your second sonata, my friend, has brought me much closer to you.” The ingenious fingerings have been provided by the pianist Andreas Boyde, a recognized Brahms expert.
About Henle Urtext
What I can expect from Henle Urtext editions:
- error-free, reliable musical texts based on meticulous musicological research - fingerings and bowings by famous artists and pedagogues
- preface in 3 languages with information on the genesis and history of the work
- Critical Commentary in 1 – 3 languages with a description and evaluation of the sources and explaining all source discrepancies and editorial decisions
- most beautiful music engraving
- page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- excellent print quality and binding
- largest Urtext catalogue world-wide
- longest Urtext experience (founded 1948 exclusively for "Urtext" editions)