Chamber Ensemble Piano Quintet
Composed by Robert Schumann. Edited by Ernst Herttrich. Arranged by Ernst Herttrich. Piano quintets. Henle Music Folios. Pages: Scor = VI and 82 * Vl I, Vl II and Va Parts = 13 ea * Vc Part = 12. Classical. Softcover. 140 pages. G. Henle #HN355. Published by G. Henle (HL.51480355).
ISBN 9790201803555. UPC: 884088175498. 9.25x12.25x0.468 inches.
The composition cost him his sleep. In October 1842, when Schumann had finished his piano quintet in a short period of time, he was physically and emotionally drained. The work in no way reflects this, quite the contrary. “Full of strength and freshness” said Clara Schumann of the new composition, as well as “extremely brilliant and effective”. Even Richard Wagner added his voice to the great wave of admiration. Thus op. 44 soon became one of Schumann's most successful compositions, which today is still a jewel in chamber music literature. If the quartet reminds one of a piano concerto with orchestra in string quartet format at times, this is explained by the fact that it was intended for Clara's repertoire. The work was also dedicated to this brilliant pianist.
About Henle Urtext
What I can expect from Henle Urtext editions:
- error-free, reliable musical texts based on meticulous musicological research - fingerings and bowings by famous artists and pedagogues
- preface in 3 languages with information on the genesis and history of the work
- Critical Commentary in 1 – 3 languages with a description and evaluation of the sources and explaining all source discrepancies and editorial decisions
- most beautiful music engraving
- page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- excellent print quality and binding
- largest Urtext catalogue world-wide
- longest Urtext experience (founded 1948 exclusively for "Urtext" editions)