There are currently no items in your cart.
Field Mass H 279 / The Spectre's Bride H 214 I A
Composed by Bohuslav Martinu (1890-1959). Edited by Paul Wingfield. This edition: complete edition, urtext edition. Cloth bound. The Bohuslav Martinu Complete Edition VI/2/2. Complete edition, Score, anthology. Baerenreiter Verlag #BA10573-01. Published by Baerenreiter Verlag (BA.BA10573-01).
Item Number: BA.BA10573-01
ISBN 9790260107922. 33.3 x 26.3 cm inches. Language: Czech. Preface: Wingfield, Paul.
The present volume of the Bohuslav Martinu Complete Edition (BMCE) contains two vocal-instrumental works. The"Field Mass"(1939) with a text by Jiri Mucha incorporating bible and liturgy quotes was created in reaction to the outbreak of the Second World War and intended for outdoor performances. The cantata"The Spectre's Bride"with a text by Karel Jaromir Erben was composed in 1932 as part of the ballet"Spalicek"(meaning"chapbook"); the composer later took out the cantata, making it into a stand-alone concert piece.
The autograph scores served as primary sources for both works. The edition of the"Field Mass"(including its performance materials) also contains the original version of the ending with a quote from the Czech medieval hymn"Jezu Kriste, stedry kneze"("Jesu Christ, bountiful priest") and a number of contemporary translations.
About Barenreiter Urtext
What can I expect from a Barenreiter Urtext edition?
- A reliable musical text based on all available sources
- A description of the sources
- Information on the genesis and history of the work
- Valuable notes on performance practice
- Includes an introduction with critical commentary explaining source discrepancies and editorial decisions
... AND PRACTICAL
- Page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- A well-presented layout and a user-friendly format
- Excellent print quality
- Superior paper and binding