Strings Piano; Viola (Viola and Piano)
SKU: HL.51480612 Viola and Piano
. Composed by Franz Schubert. Edited by Wolf-Dieter Seiffert. Sheet Music. Paperbound. Henle Music Folios. With marked and unmarked string parts. Arpeggione part as free download. ABRSM syllabus Grade: 7 -- TCL 2016 Grade: 7, 8. Classical. Softcover. 64 pages. G. Henle #HN612. Published by G. Henle (HL.51480612).
ISBN 9790201806129. UPC: 884088177324. 9.25x12.25x0.22 inches.
Good intentions are simply not good enough (to freely paraphrase Kurt Tucholsky): the arpeggione, a kind of hybrid instrument like a large bowed guitar, never won acceptance among musicians. This curiosity of instrumental engineering would certainly have long since been consigned to oblivion had not Franz Schubert of all people composed his A minor sonata for it. This three-movement work is now truly immortal, but at the same time presents a problem as an Urtext because the original arpeggione part cannot be performed on those instruments that most closely approximate its sound – clearly the viola or violoncello – without some interventions in the text. G. Henle Verlag solves the dilemma on the one hand by setting the arpeggione Urtext part above the original piano part (score), and on the other by clearly denoting the few necessary octave shifts in the included instrumental parts. Out of the question for the publisher was a transcription for another instrument such as the violin (as was included in Diabelli's posthumous first edition), flute, or other high melodic instrument, because these are simply too far removed from the sound Schubert had in mind. At best, a contrabass part might still work.
About Henle Urtext
What I can expect from Henle Urtext editions:
- error-free, reliable musical texts based on meticulous musicological research - fingerings and bowings by famous artists and pedagogues
- preface in 3 languages with information on the genesis and history of the work
- Critical Commentary in 1 – 3 languages with a description and evaluation of the sources and explaining all source discrepancies and editorial decisions
- most beautiful music engraving
- page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- excellent print quality and binding
- largest Urtext catalogue world-wide
- longest Urtext experience (founded 1948 exclusively for "Urtext" editions)