Chamber Ensemble Piano Quartet (Violin, Viola, Violoncello and Piano)
Composed by Johannes Brahms. Edited by Hanspeter Krellmann. Sheet Music. Paperbound. Henle Music Folios. Pages: Score = 67 * Vl Part = 19 * Va Part = 15 * Vc Part = 19. Classical. Softcover. 128 pages. G. Henle #HN275. Published by G. Henle (HL.51480275).
ISBN 9790201802756. UPC: 884088174712. 9.25x12.25x0.41 inches.
As with the G minor Quartet op. 25, the origins of opus 26 reach back into the 1850s. However, it assumed its final shape only in summer and fall 1861. While in her first evaluation of the work Clara Schumann felt that the piece would “grow on the listener once he knows it perfectly and has often heard it.” Brahms's friend Joseph Joachim wrote to him after a hasty perusal that he had “grown more and more favorable towards the A major Quartet. The tone of great intimacy and delicacy alternates beautifully with a fresh love of life.” With its use of a “brighter” key, opus 26 is clearly the more accessible of the two adjacent piano quartets.
About Henle Urtext
What I can expect from Henle Urtext editions:
- error-free, reliable musical texts based on meticulous musicological research - fingerings and bowings by famous artists and pedagogues
- preface in 3 languages with information on the genesis and history of the work
- Critical Commentary in 1 – 3 languages with a description and evaluation of the sources and explaining all source discrepancies and editorial decisions
- most beautiful music engraving
- page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- excellent print quality and binding
- largest Urtext catalogue world-wide
- longest Urtext experience (founded 1948 exclusively for "Urtext" editions)