Orchestra (3Trp, timpani, 2 Ob, 2 V, Va, Continuo (Vc, double bass, harpisc.))
Composed by Johann Sebastian Bach. Edited by Hans Grüß and Heinrich Besseler. This edition: urtext edition. Stapled. Barenreiter Urtext. Score. BWV 1068. Duration 24 minutes. Baerenreiter Verlag #BA05254_00. Published by Baerenreiter Verlag (BA.BA05254).
ISBN 9790006540433. 31 x 24.3 cm inches. Key: D major. Language: German/English. Preface: Schütz, Gudula.
J.S. Bach’s four Orchestral Suites belong to that select group of works one could truly call classical hits! They stem from Bach’s extremely productive time in Cöthen which ended in 1721.
Unfortunately the only sources that have come down to us are copyist parts from Leipzig . These originally formed the basis for the critical complete edition volume which was published in 1967 as part of the “ New Bach Edition” .
At that time Bärenreiter also issued separate scores and parts which however were prepared with additional articulation and performance suggestions. Bärenreiter’s new edition of Bach’s great four suites now presents the Urtext as found in the “ New Bach Edition” i.e. without emendations and performance suggestions. The orchestral parts have been re-engraved and the material includes an alternative version of the Overture and Air to the D major suite BWV 1068 including a “Violino concertato” part.
About Barenreiter Urtext
What can I expect from a Barenreiter Urtext edition?
- A reliable musical text based on all available sources
- A description of the sources
- Information on the genesis and history of the work
- Valuable notes on performance practice
- Includes an introduction with critical commentary explaining source discrepancies and editorial decisions
... AND PRACTICAL
- Page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- A well-presented layout and a user-friendly format
- Excellent print quality
- Superior paper and binding