Violoncello, Orchestra (Violoncello solo, Orchestra)
Composed by Antonin Dvorak. Edited by Jonathan Del Mar. This edition: urtext edition. Paperback. Barenreiter Urtext. Score. Opus 104. Duration 37 minutes. Baerenreiter Verlag #BA09045_00. Published by Baerenreiter Verlag (BA.BA09045).
ISBN 9790006537648. 31 x 24.3 cm inches. Key: B minor. Text Language: English/Czech/German. Preface: Jonathan Del Mar.
Like every other great 19th-century solo concerto, Dvorák’s famous Cello Concerto was a collaboration between composer and virtuoso. It has long been known that certain solo passages in Dvorák’s autograph score were actually written by the cellist Hanuš Wihan; but Bärenreiter’s edition now reveals that some details in the orchestral parts are also in his writing, showing just how closely the two musicians were working together.
The editor Jonathan Del Mar has painstakingly examined all the surviving sources, including two that have hitherto been either ignored or crucially undervalued, in order to produce an authoritative edition which restores – for the first time since the original edition was published in 1896 - Dvorák’s final and definitive version of the solo cello part. This differs, in details, in almost every bar from the version found in all other modern editions, while hundreds of corrections have also been made to the orchestral parts.
About Barenreiter Urtext
What can I expect from a Barenreiter Urtext edition?
- A reliable musical text based on all available sources
- A description of the sources
- Information on the genesis and history of the work
- Valuable notes on performance practice
- Includes an introduction with critical commentary explaining source discrepancies and editorial decisions
... AND PRACTICAL
- Page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- A well-presented layout and a user-friendly format
- Excellent print quality
- Superior paper and binding