Singing voice, Piano
Composed by Robert Schumann. Edited by Hansjörg Ewert. This edition: urtext edition. Stapled. Barenreiter Urtext. Singing Score. Opus 42. Baerenreiter Verlag #BA07854_00. Published by Baerenreiter Verlag (BA.BA07854).
ISBN 9790006542970. 30 x 23 cm inches. Language: German. Preface: Ewert, Hansjörg.
Schumann’s song cycle “Frauenliebe und Leben”, on poems by Adelbert von Chamisso, deals with the trauma of a woman who loses the man who was her first love and the guiding light of her life. Schumann himself completed what is perhaps his most unified song cycle in blissful anticipation of his union with Clara Wieck.
This new edition presents the work on the basis of the first print, using Schumann’s autograph for purposes of consultation. The alternative readings in the autograph vocal part also give singers valuable tips for a nuanced delivery of the words.
About Barenreiter Urtext
What can I expect from a Barenreiter Urtext edition?
- A reliable musical text based on all available sources
- A description of the sources
- Information on the genesis and history of the work
- Valuable notes on performance practice
- Includes an introduction with critical commentary explaining source discrepancies and editorial decisions
... AND PRACTICAL
- Page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- A well-presented layout and a user-friendly format
- Excellent print quality
- Superior paper and binding