Tin whistle - Intermediate
Saddle-stitched, Traditional. Folk. Book and online audio. 56 pages. Mel Bay Publications, Inc #30789M. Published by Mel Bay Publications, Inc (MB.30789M).
ISBN 9781513468426. 8.75x11.75 inches.
Here are 34 easy-to-play folk, popular and classical favorites arranged for tin whistle (also known as pennywhistle) or Irish flute. Chords are included for guitar, keyboard, or other accompaniment instrument.
Also included with this book:
• Access to online audio for all 34 songs, with tin whistle, Irish flute, piano, and guitar
• Three duet arrangements
If you don’t read music, you can still use this book! In addition to music notation, there is a specially designed tablature for tin whistle and Irish flute.
What makes these tune arrangements easy?
• They are played in the lower two octaves of the whistle and flute’s range, ascending no higher than B in the second octave.
• They are in easy tin whistle and Irish flute keys, such as: D major, G major, E minor and B minor. No metal keys are needed on the Irish flute.
• They use only eight notes: D, E, F#, G, A, B, C and C#.
• They are also easy to play on soprano and tenor recorder, modern flute, and piccolo.
Grey Larsen is a master musician who performs and teaches internationally. He has played tin whistle and Irish flute since the 1970s and has written nine books, including First Lessons Tin Whistle and the best-seller, The Essential Guide to Irish Flute and Tin Whistle.
The author recommends using a tin whistle in D or a standard Irish flute (with or without keys) with this book. You can also use soprano and tenor recorders, modern flute, and piccolo. However, the tablature in this book uses only tin whistle and Irish flute fingerings.