There are currently no items in your cart.
Shining Brow (Opera in 2 Acts). By Daron Hagen (1961-). For 2 Soprano solo voices, Mezzo-Soprano solo voice, High Lyric Baritone solo voice, Tenor solo voice, Bass solo voice (Principals); 2 Soprano solo voices, Mezzo-Soprano solo voice, 2 Alto solo voices, 2 Tenor solo voices, Baritone solo voice or Tenor solo vo. Vocal Score. 308 pages. Duration 3 hours. Published by E.C. Schirmer Publishing (EC.4689).
Shining Brow centers around the eleven tumultuous years, from 1903 to 1914, in the young career of the American architect Frank Lloyd Wright. The episodes include the Cliff Dwellers Club in Chicago with Louis Sullivan (Wright's former mentor), a construction site in Oak Park, Illinois, Berlin, Germany, and finally to Taliesin where many of the most tragic events of Wright's life are played out.
Shining Brow was commissioned by Madison Opera, a division of the Madison Civic Music Association Inc., Madison, Wisconsin, who had permission from the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation to produce an opera based on Mr. Wright's life. It was premiered in the spring of 1993 in Madison.
"Shining Brow was a daring adventure on the part of several bright young talents. Paul Muldoon, a noted Irish poet, wrote the libretto. Stephen Wadsworth, who collaborated with Leonard Bernstein on A Quiet Place and headed the SKylight Theater in Milwaukee from 184 to 1991, directed. ... The entire enterprise exuded intelligence. ... overall, the work is effective and stimulating. Mr. Hagen has a gift for the big tune, and he serves up some beauties in the choruses, evoking the blues and a Colonial Hymn." - James R. Oestrich, The New York Times
"Shining Brow offered further evidence that the salvation of the new American opera will come not necessarily from the big East Coast companies, but from enterprising regional theaters like Madison's. ... It is an opera any major opera company could present with pride." - John von Rhein, Chicago Tribune.
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
Genre: Opera Sheet Music
Format: Vocal Score