There are currently no items in your cart.
Krakatoa (Mountain of Fire) composed by William Owens (1963-). For concert band. Concert Band. FJH Young Band. Score only. Full set (score and parts) also available: B1385. Grade 2.5. Score only. Duration 3 minutes, 30 seconds. Published by The FJH Music Company Inc (FJ.B1385S).
This stunning and powerful work recalls the massive Krakatoa explosions of 1883 that were heard over 2,000 miles away. The piece begins with an immediate intensity using dissonant ascending notes representing burning lava, while low voices and percussion signify the thunderous blasts. A haunting slow section follows, exuding fear and uneasy anticipation. The music then becomes frantic and highly rhythmic as it leads to the huge eruption, depicted by well-written aleatoric passages that occur over booming bass lines. The "aftermath" is strangely quiet, but soon the angry mountain speaks once more in a powerful and thrilling ending!
Krakatoa is the volcanic island in the Sunda Strait between Java and Sumatra in Indonesia. This infamous volcano has erupted violently and repeatedly throughout history, but is best known for a series of massive explosions on August 26 and 27, 1883, which were heard 2,300 miles away in Australia. In the fiery aftermath, over 36,000 lives were lost, and 297 towns and villages were destroyed or severely damaged. The piece begins suddenly and intensely. Dissonant ascending notes represent the burning lava, while low voices and percussion depict the thunderous blasts. A haunting slow section follows, exuding fear and uneasy anticipation of the horror to surely follow. The music becomes frantic and rhythmic, leading to the huge eruption - Krakatoa speaks! In the aftermath, all is strangely quiet as survivors face an uncertain future. When all seems well again, the music builds to an angry climax, as the great mountain has its final say!
About FJH Young Band
Appropriate for middle school and smaller high school groups. Second clarinets usually stay below the break. Parts are written with more independence, and instrumentation increases slightly. There is still adequate doubling in the lower voices. Grades 2 - 2.5
Krakatoa (Mountain of Fire)
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Krakatoa (Mountain of Fire)
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
Ensemble: Concert Band Music
Level: Grade 2
Series: FJH Young Band