Chamber Ensemble String Quartet (2 Violins, Viola, Violoncello)
SKU: HL.51480626 Death and the Maiden
. Composed by Franz Schubert. Edited by Wiltrud Haug-freienstein. Sheet Music. Paperbound. Henle Music Folios. Pages: Vl I Part = 28 * Vl II Part = 14 * Va Part = 15 * Vc Part = 13. Classical. Softcover. 82 pages. G. Henle #HN626. Published by G. Henle (HL.51480626).
ISBN 9790201806266. UPC: 884088177461. 9.5x12.25x0.295 inches.
Franz Schubert composed the song “Death and the Maiden” in 1817, and in 1824 used that melody in the theme-and-variations second movement of his String Quartet in D minor D. 810. The song's popularity in the second half of the 19th century was responsible for the string quartet becoming known by the title “Death and the Maiden.” Like all of Schubert's mature chamber music works, it captivates with its technical perfection and high intellectual demands. Very prominent here is Schubert's desire to motivically link the movements together. Oddly enough, the work was neither performed nor published during his lifetime; the incomplete autograph score and the posthumous first edition of 1831 have thus served as the sources for our edition.
About Henle Urtext
What I can expect from Henle Urtext editions:
- error-free, reliable musical texts based on meticulous musicological research - fingerings and bowings by famous artists and pedagogues
- preface in 3 languages with information on the genesis and history of the work
- Critical Commentary in 1 – 3 languages with a description and evaluation of the sources and explaining all source discrepancies and editorial decisions
- most beautiful music engraving
- page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- excellent print quality and binding
- largest Urtext catalogue world-wide
- longest Urtext experience (founded 1948 exclusively for "Urtext" editions)