SKU: BA.BA09412 Sonata for Violoncello and Piano
. Composed by Claude Debussy. Edited by Regina Back. This edition: urtext edition. Stapled. Barenreiter Urtext. Urtext Edition. Playing score with critical commentary. Baerenreiter Verlag #BA09412_00. Published by Baerenreiter Verlag (BA.BA09412).
ISBN 9790006532506. 31 x 24.3 cm inches.
Debussy's Sonate pour violoncelle et piano was composed in the summer of 1915. It was the first of a planned set of six sonatas for various instrumental combinations of which Debussy only completed three. Imbued with that unmistakable Debussy charm this work has remained a standard in the repertoire since the premiere. It is without question the most performed cello sonata of the 20th century.
Regina Back's Urtext edition for the first time makes use of Debussy's sketches held in a private collection which contain not only an important comment by Debussy regarding the balance of the instruments but also clarify several musical ambiguities found in the autograph and first edition.Barenreiter's new Urtext edition comes with a detailed preface (German/English/French) elaborating not only on the genesis of the composition and its first performances but also providing performance practice information. The edition is rounded off with a facsimile and a Critical Commentary (English).
About Barenreiter Urtext
What can I expect from a Barenreiter Urtext edition?
- A reliable musical text based on all available sources
- A description of the sources
- Information on the genesis and history of the work
- Valuable notes on performance practice
- Includes an introduction with critical commentary explaining source discrepancies and editorial decisions
... AND PRACTICAL
- Page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- A well-presented layout and a user-friendly format
- Excellent print quality
- Superior paper and binding