There are currently no items in your cart.
Preludes, Toccatas, fantasies and Fugues II / Early Versions and Variants to I (Volume 5) and II (Volume 6). Composed by Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750). Edited by Dietrich Kilian and Peter Wollny. This edition: urtext edition. Paperback. Replaces BA 5176. Performance score, anthology. Baerenreiter Verlag #BA05266. Published by Baerenreiter Verlag (BA.BA05266).
Item Number: BA.BA05266
ISBN 9790006523122. 24 x 30.5 cm inches. Text language: German, English. Preface: Peter Wollny.
Johann Sebastian Bach: Complete Organ Works in revised editions
Any complete scholarly critical edition of the works of Johann Sebastian Bach must incorporate new research findings in the interest of scholars and performers alike. Now all of Barenreiter's new performing editions of Bach's organ works are being revised to reflect the current state of scholarship and to convey maximum fidelity to the sources by being linked toBach digital.
The present volume is an updated edition of Series IV, Volume 6 of theNew Bach Edition(NBA), prepared by Dietrich Kilian in 1964. The discovery of new sources and a reassessment of existing handwritten copies have brought about changes to the contents of the volume, which now includes theFantasia in C minor(BWV 1121), theFantasia in G major(BWV 571), theFugue in G major(BWV 577) and the C major version of theToccata and Fugue in E major(BWV 566). On the other hand, thePrelude in G major(BWV 568) as well as the alternative versions of theFugue in C minor(BWV 574a) and thePrelude in A major(BWV 536a) have been discarded as presumably spurious.
Besides the new compilation and corrections of the musical text, the volume also contains a detailed Foreword by Peter Wollny with observations on each work and the extant sources. Page turns have been re-examined and improved.
In collaboration with the Bach Archive Leipzig and itsBachdigital database, links are provided to all the major sources. The website http://links.baerenreiter.com enables readers to access the relevant page in the source simply and conveniently via short URLs. The links stored there are examined for their validity on a regular basis.
BWV 551, 563-566 (version in E major), 569-571, 573-575, 577-579 and 1121 / Early versions and variants to I (Vol. 5) and II (Vol. 6): BWV 532a, 533a, 535a, 543a, 545a, 549a, 566 (version in C major) and 574b
* New detailed Foreword (Ger/Eng) by Peter Wollny on the works and their sources
* New contents reflecting the current state of source evaluations
* Links to sources inBach digital
* Complete new engraving and revised page-turns
About Barenreiter Urtext
What can I expect from a Barenreiter Urtext edition?
- A reliable musical text based on all available sources
- A description of the sources
- Information on the genesis and history of the work
- Valuable notes on performance practice
- Includes an introduction with critical commentary explaining source discrepancies and editorial decisions
... AND PRACTICAL
- Page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- A well-presented layout and a user-friendly format
- Excellent print quality
- Superior paper and binding
Customers Who Bought Organ Works, Volume 6 Also Bought: