There are currently no items in your cart.
Mynstrelles with Straunge Sounds - The Earliest Consort Music for Viols
By Rose Consort of Viols; Wilkinson. By Alexander Agricola; Juan De Anchieta; Antoine Busnoys; William Cornysh; Juan Del Encina; Hayne Van Ghizeghem; Henricus Isaac; Johannes Martini; Francisco Da Penalosa; Juan Ponce; Josquin Des Prez. Classical. CD. Published by Naxos (NX.DCD34169).
Item Number: NX.DCD34169
A rapid transformation in musical tastes occurred in the years around 1500, with the relatively widespread distribution of part-music in the new medium of print - it was in this context that the consort of viols emerged. For their third recording on Delphian, the Rose Consort use a set of instruments modelled on those depicted in an Italian altarpiece dating from 1497 in Bologna. Peerless early-music mezzo Clare Wilkinson joins the consort in a sophisticated interweaving of voices that casts revealing light on the earliest music for this innovative ensemble.
Rose Consort of Viols' recent engagements have included performances at the BBC Proms Matinees at Cadogan Hall with vocal ensemble Tenebrae, at the National Gallery in London and for Semana de Musica Religiosa in Cuenca, Spain. The Consort has received awards for its research and performance of newly devised programmes, and has made a number of highly acclaimed recordings for Delphian and other labels, including most recently An Emerald in a Work of Gold: Music from the Dow Partbooks (Delphian DCD34115), a disc of music by Byrd and his contemporaries in collaboration with The Marian Consort, and Serenissima (DCD34149), a programme of music from Renaissance Europe performed on instruments by Richard Jones copied from the earliest surviving viol, a Venetian instrument by Francesco Linarol from c.1540.
- 01. And I were a maiden Composed by Anonymous
- 02. De tous biens plaine Composed by Anonymous
- 03. Fortuna desperate Composed by Anonymous
- 04. Helas madame Composed by Henry VIII
- 05. De tous biens plaine Composed by Hayne Van Ghizeghem
- 06. De tous biens plaine Composed by Josquin Des Prez
- 07. Fortune esperee Composed by Antoine Busnoys
- 08. Fortuna desperate Composed by Josquin Des Prez
- 09. Vita dulcedo/Agnus Dei II Composed by Francisco Da Penalosa
- 10. Cecus non iudicat de coloribus Composed by Alexander Agricola
- 11. Triste Espana Composed by Juan Del Encina
- 12. Des biens amors Composed by Johannes Martini
- 13. La martinella Composed by Johannes Martini
- 14. In te Domine speravi Composed by Josquin Des Prez
- 15. In te Domine sperabo Composed by Anonymous
- 16. La quercia Composed by Anonymous
- 17. Biblis Composed by Anonymous
- 18. Juan del Encina
- Fata la parte
- 19. La Spagna Composed by Anonymous
- 20. La mi sola Laureola Composed by Juan Ponce
- 21. Fa la sol Composed by William Cornysh
- 22. Con amores, la mi madre Composed by Juan De Anchieta
- 23. Agnus Dei II Composed by Henricus Isaac
- 24. Adieu mes amours Composed by Josquin Des Prez