Camille Saint-Saens: Complete Piano Works, Vol. 4
By Geoffrey Burleson. By Camille Saint-Saens (1835-1921). Classical. 1 listening CD. Published by Naxos (NX.GP625).
Item Number: NX.GP625
Although he is best remembered for his orchestral and instrumental music, Saint-Saens was also responsible for spearheading the revival of the French Baroque, especially the music of Lully and Rameau, as well as being perfectly placed to absorb the latest instrumental dance music. His five 'character waltzes' include the ethereal and ravishingly textured Valse mignonne, the stylistically forward-looking Valse nonchalante and teh virtuosic Valse gaie, the composer's final waltz for solo piano, while the three minor key Mazurkas are strongly characterised and filled with ingeious musical contrasts. Last but not least, the three 'souvenirs' are delightful evocations of particular corners of the world that inspired Saint-Saens.
About Listening CDs
Listening CDs are traditional music recordings. Listening CDs make a great educational supplement - hear exceptional professionals play the music you're learning! Or, just enjoy listening to the music you love.
- 01. Gavotte in C Minor, Op. 23
- 02. Mazurka No. 1 in G Minor, Op. 21
- 03. Mazurka no. 2 in G Minor, Op. 24
- 04. Mazurka No. 3 in B Minor, Op. 66
- 05. Menuet et valse, Op. 56
- 06. Valse canariote in A Minor, Op. 88
- 07. Valse mignonne in E-Flat Major, Op. 104
- 08. Valse nonchalante in D-Flat Major, Op. 110
- 09. Valse langoureuse in E Major, Op. 120
- 10. Valse gaie, Op. 139
- 11. Une nuit a lisbonne in E-Flat Major, Op. 120
- 12. Souvenir d'italie in G Major, Op. 80
- 13. Souvenir d'ismailia, Op. 100