Bach: Organ Works, Vol. 1
By Masaaki Suzuki. By Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750). Classical. Hybrid SACD. Published by Naxos (NX.BIS-2111).
Item Number: NX.BIS-2111
The recipient of the 2012 City of Leipzig Bach Medal, Masaaki Suzuki has earned an enviable reputation as an interpreter of the music of J. S. Bach - as a reviewer in Int'l Record Guide has put it: 'With Suzuki you can hear Bach's heart beat'. To a wide audience he is known as the director of Bach Collegium Japan, and the moving force behind the ensemble's acclaimed recordings of Bach's complete sacred cantatas. Perhaps less well known is that he began his career - at the age of 12! - playing the organ at church services in Kobe, where he was born. Suzuki has remained true to the organ throughout his life, and for BIS he has previously recorded Bach's German Organ Mass, as well as programs of Buxtehude and Sweelinck. He here appears on a disc combining some of Bach's best-loved works for the instrument, including the D minor Toccata and Fugue, the Partitas on 'O Gott, du frommer Gott', BWV 767, the Canonic Variations, BWVâ€‰769, and the celebrated Prelude and Fugue in E minor, BWVâ€‰548. The recording was made in Groningen's Martinikerk, with Suzuki performing on one of the Netherlands' most important and impressive organs.
- 01-02. Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565
- 03-06. Pastorale in F major, BWV 590
- 07-15. Partite diverse sopra il corale "O Gott, du frommer Gott," BWV 767
- 16. Fantasia in G major, BWV 572
- 17-18. Prelude and Fugue in G minor, BWV 535
- 19-23. Canonic Variations on "Von himmel hoch da komm; ich her," BWV 769
- 24-25. Prelude and Fugue in E minor, BWV 548