Piano solo (Piano solo) - SMP Level 10 (Advanced)
Handel-Variationen - Piano Solo. Composed by Johannes Brahms (1833-1897). Edited by Sonja Gerlach. Sheet Music. Paperbound. Henle Music Folios. Rec. FRSM since 2005: FRSM -- ABRSM 2018 remarks: recommended. Classical. Softcover. 36 pages. G. Henle #HN272. Published by G. Henle (HL.51480272).
Item Number: HL.51480272
ISBN 9790201802725. 9.25x12.25 inches.
We know that Brahms took an active interest in Baroque music throughout his life. It can thus hardly be by chance that he chose a theme from one of Handel's harpsichord suites for his 25 variations. The variations allow for iridescent colours and moods in the style of Beethoven's characteristic variations. In keeping with the source, however, the work also features allusions to Baroque models – embellishments, pedal points – and ends in a grandly laid-out fugue with a triumphant build-up. Opus 24 unquestionably deserves its reputation as the composer's most important variation cycle.
About Henle Urtext
What I can expect from Henle Urtext editions:
- error-free, reliable musical texts based on meticulous musicological research - fingerings and bowings by famous artists and pedagogues
- preface in 3 languages with information on the genesis and history of the work
- Critical Commentary in 1 – 3 languages with a description and evaluation of the sources and explaining all source discrepancies and editorial decisions
- most beautiful music engraving
- page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- excellent print quality and binding
- largest Urtext catalogue world-wide
- longest Urtext experience (founded 1948 exclusively for "Urtext" editions)
About SMP Level 10 (Advanced)
Very advanced level, very difficult note reading, frequent time signature changes, virtuosic level technical facility needed.