Cello - Difficulty: medium to medium-difficult
Music Volume, Text Volume (English) and Facsimiles. Scholarly Critical Performing Edition. Urtext of the New Bach Edition. Composed by Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750). Edited by Bettina Schwemer and Douglas Woodfull-Harris. This edition: Anthology, urtext. In a folder. Barenreiter Urtext. Sechs Suiten fur Violoncello. Baroque. Critical performing edition, critical text volume (analysis and performance notes) and facsimiles of source manuscripts (5 complete source editions). BWV 1007-1012. 327 pages. Baerenreiter Verlag #BA 5216. Published by Baerenreiter Verlag (BA.BA5216).
Item Number: BA.BA5216
ISBN 9790006505722. 9x12 inches. German, English.
This new edition, in contrast to the array of Bach Cello Suite publications available today, has made use of all the five sources which have come down to us. The basis for this edition is the most reliable of the sources, the manuscript copy in the hand of Anna Magdalena Bach. All variant readings from the four other sources are clearly laid out for performance. Cellists now have the possibility of rendering performances based on just one of the five sources as well as the option of combining the sources in a mixed version.
About Barenreiter Urtext
What can I expect from a Barenreiter Urtext edition?
- A reliable musical text based on all available sources
- A description of the sources
- Information on the genesis and history of the work
- Valuable notes on performance practice
- A Critical Commentary explaining all source descrepancies and editorial decisions
... AND PRACTICAL
- Page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- A well-presented layout and a user-friendly format
- Excellent print quality
- Superior paper and binding