Piano piano (Piano solo) - L7, L8
(Grande Sonata Pathetique). Composed by Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827). Edited by Murray Perahia and Norbert Gertsch. Arranged by Murray Perahia. Sheet Music. Paperbound. Henle Music Folios. Revised edition of HN 48. Classical. Softcover. 28 pages. G. Henle #HN1348. Published by G. Henle (HL.51481348).
Item Number: HL.51481348
ISBN 9790201813486. 9x12 inches.
In a span of only eight years, between 1794-1802, Beethoven composed twenty piano sonatas, among them his so-called “Grande sonate pathétique” op. 13. It marks the consummation of his Classical style, yet also already alludes to his Heroic Period with its intensely Romantic characteristics. Composed in the “tragic” key of C minor, it foreshadows the expressive drama of later masterworks such as the Fifth Symphony or the Coriolan Overture. Of the famous sonatas, this one is the most technically manageable and thus proves immensely popular with advanced piano students. The new Urtext edition from G. Henle Publishers hails from the successful Beethoven collaboration between Norbert Gertsch and Murray Perahia, as usual with fingering and interpretive suggestions from the great pianist.
About Henle Urtext
What I can expect from Henle Urtext editions:
- error-free, reliable musical texts based on meticulous musicological research - fingerings and bowings by famous artists and pedagogues
- preface in 3 languages with information on the genesis and history of the work
- Critical Commentary in 1 – 3 languages with a description and evaluation of the sources and explaining all source discrepancies and editorial decisions
- most beautiful music engraving
- page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- excellent print quality and binding
- largest Urtext catalogue world-wide
- longest Urtext experience (founded 1948 exclusively for "Urtext" editions)