Piano (Piano, left hand) - Advanced
Arrangement for Piano, Left-Hand. Composed by Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750) and Johannes Brahms (1833-1897). Edited by Valerie Woodring Goertzen. Arranged by Johannes Brahms. Sheet Music. Paperbound. Henle Music Folios. Classical. Softcover. 20 pages. G. Henle #HN1187. Published by G. Henle (HL.51481187).
Item Number: HL.51481187
ISBN 9790201811871. 9x12 inches.
The D-minor Chaconne is undoubtedly the most famous movement of all of Bach's 6 Sonatas and Partitas for violin solo. So it is hardly surprising that it has seen many arrangements. Johannes Brahms marvelled at how a single staff of music could offer “a whole world of the deepest thoughts and the mightiest emotions”. He promptly made his own arrangement; it is for left hand alone, in order to come close to the restrictive framework of the original. He wrote enthusiastically: “A similar degree of difficulty, the manner of technique, the arpeggios – everything comes together to make me feel like a violinist!” This Henle Urtext edition by Valerie Woodring-Goertzen is based on the text of the new Brahms Complete Edition. In her foreword she also offers fascinating details aboutthe compositional history of this unusual work.
About Henle Urtext
What I can expect from Henle Urtext editions:
- error-free, reliable musical texts based on meticulous musicological research - fingerings and bowings by famous artists and pedagogues
- preface in 3 languages with information on the genesis and history of the work
- Critical Commentary in 1 – 3 languages with a description and evaluation of the sources and explaining all source discrepancies and editorial decisions
- most beautiful music engraving
- page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- excellent print quality and binding
- largest Urtext catalogue world-wide
- longest Urtext experience (founded 1948 exclusively for "Urtext" editions)