Solo tenor voice, solo alto voice, 3 female voices, piano - Level 4
The Diary of One Who Disappeared / Tagebuch eines Verschollenen. Composed by Leos Janacek (1854-1928). Edited by Jiri Zahradka. This edition: urtext edition. Paperback. Barenreiter Urtext. Replaces H 935. Singing score, Anthology. Baerenreiter Verlag #BA09575. Published by Baerenreiter Verlag (BA.BA09575).
Item Number: BA.BA09575
ISBN 9790260107779. 30 x 23 cm inches. Language: Czech/English/German. Preface: Jiri Zahradka.
Janacek's intimate chamber-music drama about the passionate love of a simple farm boy for a beautiful gypsy girl is one of his great vocal masterpieces.
This cycle of 22 songs for tenor (an alto and three female voices are added in three numbers) was composed on a setting of poems that were published anonymously. It was not until 80 years later that their author was identified as the regional poet and writer Ozef Kalda. The cycle also contains theatrical elements, such as the alto entrance and exit cues and lighting effects. Composed in 1917-19, the"Diary"was premiered in Brno in 1921 from a manuscript prepared by Gustav Homola.
The same manuscript served as a basis for the first edition which was issued by the Brno publisher Oldrich Pazdirek in 1921 as well as for this current first Urtext edition.
* First Urtext edition with a detailed Foreword (Cz/Eng/Ger) and Critical Commentary (Eng) by the editor
* Singing translations in German (by Max Brod) and English (by Bernard Keefe)
* Numbers IX to XI which include the alto and three female voices also available online
About Barenreiter Urtext
What can I expect from a Barenreiter Urtext edition?
- A reliable musical text based on all available sources
- A description of the sources
- Information on the genesis and history of the work
- Valuable notes on performance practice
- Includes an introduction with critical commentary explaining source discrepancies and editorial decisions
... AND PRACTICAL
- Page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- A well-presented layout and a user-friendly format
- Excellent print quality
- Superior paper and binding