First violin, second violin, viola, cello - Level 4
Composed by Suk Josef. Edited by Zdenek Nouza. This edition: urtext edition. In a folder. Barenreiter Urtext. Set of parts. Opus 31, No. 2. 17/16/19/15 pages. Baerenreiter Verlag #BA09536. Published by Baerenreiter Verlag (BA.BA09536).
Item Number: BA.BA09536
ISBN 9790260105522. 31 x 24.3 cm inches.
First scholarly-critical edition
The single-movement String Quartet No. 2 by Josef Suk (1874-1935) was written at the height of his compositional powers. Completed in Krecovice in May 1911, this demanding work, with its complex harmonies and motivic structure, seemed avant-garde for its day: the Berlin premiere of November 1912 was accompanied by protests from the audience.
Now Zdenek Nouza has edited the first scholarly-critical edition of this piece. The principal source is the first edition in full score, published by Simrock in Berlin. But Nouza has also consulted the printed parts (containing additions of great interest to performers) as well as the engraver's copy used for the printed score (with autograph corrections from the composer) and additional sources such as sketches.
* First Urtext edition
* Foreword (Cz/Ger/Eng) and Critical Commentary (Eng) by the editor
About Barenreiter Urtext
What can I expect from a Barenreiter Urtext edition?
- A reliable musical text based on all available sources
- A description of the sources
- Information on the genesis and history of the work
- Valuable notes on performance practice
- A Critical Commentary explaining all source discrepancies and editorial decisions
... AND PRACTICAL
- Page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- A well-presented layout and a user-friendly format
- Excellent print quality
- Superior paper and binding