Orchestra (2 Fl, Fl-S, 2 Ob, EnglHn, clarinet, 2 bassoon, 5bassoon-Co, 2 Trp, Kor, 2 trombone, Tb, percussion, Cel, 2 harp, Str.)
3 symphonic sketches. Composed by Claude Debussy (1862-1918). Edited by Douglas Woodfull-Harris. This edition: urtext edition. Paperback. Barenreiter Urtext. Study Score. Duration 10 minutes. Baerenreiter Verlag #TP00780. Published by Baerenreiter Verlag (BA.TP00780).
Item Number: BA.TP00780
ISBN 9790006205455. 22.5 x 16.5 cm inches. Text Language: English/French/German. Preface: Douglas Woodfull-Harris.
Following the recent publication of the full score and performance material to Debussy's"La Mer"(BA 7880), Barenreiter now presents the study score edition of this"impressionistic"masterpiece.
The new scholarly-critical edition draws on several important sources previously unavailable to musicologists, resulting in an array of new readings and corrections. In addition, there are many changes, especially in terms of articulation and dynamics.
This new edition includes the famous"fanfare"in Movement III, clearly marked in small print and brackets. This fanfare was excised in the 1910 reissue of the work, but was reinstated by a number of great conductors who knew Debussy, i.e. Monteux, Munch, Mitropoulos and Ansermet. They felt that the excision was a misunderstanding and that the fanfare was necessary for the structure of the movement. And so, the Barenreiter edition presents the revival of a performing tradition which is committed to the fanfare.
- New Urtext edition with numerous corrections in comparison to other editions
- Important sources which were previously inaccessible have been taken into account
About Barenreiter Urtext
What can I expect from a Barenreiter Urtext edition?
- A reliable musical text based on all available sources
- A description of the sources
- Information on the genesis and history of the work
- Valuable notes on performance practice
- Includes an introduction with critical commentary explaining source discrepancies and editorial decisions
... AND PRACTICAL
- Page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- A well-presented layout and a user-friendly format
- Excellent print quality
- Superior paper and binding