Organ (with pedals) (Solo) - CD
Music for Lent, Palm Sunday, Holy Week, Easter, Ascension, and Pentecost. Composed by Miscellaneous. Edited by Robert Gower. Organ (Solo). Sheet Music. 128 pages. Oxford University Press #9780193386235. Published by Oxford University Press (OU.9780193386235).
Item Number: OU.9780193386235
ISBN 9780193386235. 311x232mm inches.
The Oxford Book of Lent and Easter Organ Music brings together a superb array of repertoire for use from Ash Wednesday through to Pentecost, providing a comprehensive volume for this extended liturgical period. The pieces--largely based on well-known hymn tunes--vary in style and length, suiting a range of purposes, from processionals and interludes to voluntaries and recital works. A range of technical difficulty makes the book useful for players of differing abilities, and clean and uncluttered scores leave interpretative decisions to the performer. An invaluable resource for a major part of the church year.
- 34 pieces for manuals and pedals, suitable for use from Lent through to Pentecost
- Seven brand-new commissions by important names such as David Briggs, Naji Hakim, and Francis Jackson
- A variety of musical forms, including preludes, toccatas, fanfares, and variations
- Covers 17th to 21st centuries, from major historic organ composers including Scheidt, Mendelssohn, and Reger, through 20th-century luminaries Harris and Leighton, to contemporary figures such as Malcolm Riley, David Bednall, and Christopher Tambling
- Original organ compositions plus new arrangements of favourites from Handel's Messiah and J. S. Bach's St Matthew Passion
- An index of hymn tunes, and pieces arranged in liturgical order