Orchestra (3 Flutes, 2 Oboes, English Hornn, 2 clarinet, 2 bassoon, 4Hn, Cymb, 2 harp, 2 Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass)
Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun. Composed by Claude Debussy (1862-1918). Edited by Douglas Woodfull-Harris. This edition: urtext edition. Stapled. Barenreiter Urtext. Score. Duration 10 minutes. Baerenreiter Verlag #BA08841. Published by Baerenreiter Verlag (BA.BA08841).
Item Number: BA.BA08841
ISBN 9790006540570. 31 x 24.3 cm inches. Text Language: English/French/German. Preface: Douglas Woodfull-Harris.
Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune, often referred to as the first composition of the"modern"era, is one of Debussy's most popular and frequently performed orchestral works. The piece comes down to us in an array of sources, and several important ones are drawn upon for the first time in Barenreiter's new scholarly-critical edition.
Most of the currently available editions are based on the first edition from 1895 which, however, contains many engraver errors. When the corresponding orchestral parts are also taken into consideration, countless discrepancies are revealed.
Barenreiter's Urtext edition incorporates readings of a printed copy of the score from c. 1908 which shows corrections and emendations by the composer. These important changes, found in no other source, include metronome markings, different pitches and additional notes, as well as added tempo and articulation markings, which all subtly enhance Debussy's finely sculpted work. There is even a breath mark added to the famous solo flute passage which opens the work.
- Scholarly critical edition with many corrections in the score and orchestral parts
- Clear presentation of orchestral parts in an enlarged format, 25.5 cm x 32.5 cm
About Barenreiter Urtext
What can I expect from a Barenreiter Urtext edition?
- A reliable musical text based on all available sources
- A description of the sources
- Information on the genesis and history of the work
- Valuable notes on performance practice
- A Critical Commentary explaining all source discrepancies and editorial decisions
... AND PRACTICAL
- Page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- A well-presented layout and a user-friendly format
- Excellent print quality
- Superior paper and binding