2 violins, viola, cello
Composed by Bedrich Smetana (1824-1884). Edited by Frantisek Bartos, Josef Plavec, and Karel Solc. This edition: urtext edition. Stapled. Barenreiter Urtext. Set of parts. No. 1. 15/15/16/15 pages. Baerenreiter Verlag #BA09516. Published by Baerenreiter Verlag (BA.BA09516).
Item Number: BA.BA09516
ISBN 9790260102842. 31 x 24.3 cm inches. Key: E minor.
The composition of the first string quartetFrom My Lifewas preceded by a period of fateful changes in Smetana's life. In 1874 he lost his hearing. Two years later he moved with his family to Jabkenice in the countryside, which seemed to him like an expulsion; he suffered from his deafness and missed contact with like-minded company. He presented the string quartet as a conversation within a close circle of four friends who discuss what is tormenting them. It is a kind of passionate and resigned dialogue between a spirited person and his destiny. Smetana's first string quartet soon became one of the most frequently performed works in the quartet repertoire.
The musical text of the new edition is based on theStudy Edition of the Works of Bedrich Smetana, Volume XV - Chamber Music Works.
- Urtext from theStudy Edition of the Works of Bedrich Smetana
- Detailed foreword ( Cz /Eng/Ger) by Marta Ottlova
About Barenreiter Urtext
What can I expect from a Barenreiter Urtext edition?
- A reliable musical text based on all available sources
- A description of the sources
- Information on the genesis and history of the work
- Valuable notes on performance practice
- A Critical Commentary explaining all source discrepancies and editorial decisions
... AND PRACTICAL
- Page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- A well-presented layout and a user-friendly format
- Excellent print quality
- Superior paper and binding