Composed by Edward Elgar (1857-1934). Edited by Christopher Hogwood. This edition: urtext edition. Paperback. Barenreiter Urtext. Score. Opus 36. Baerenreiter Verlag #BA09042. Published by Baerenreiter Verlag (BA.BA09042).
Item Number: BA.BA09042
ISBN 9790006527762. 31 x 24.3 cm inches.
Edward Elgar's popular Enigma Variations, composed between 1898-99 is a collection of variations on an original theme - each of the variations is dedicated to one of his close friends - or as Elgar himself put it:Dedicated to my Friends Pictured Within.
Christopher Hogwood's new Urtext edition makes use of all known source material including the early sketches, autograph score and the revised text from 1904, the new edition clarifies discrepancies between the score and reprintings of the orchestral material while also documenting Elgar's revisions. The edition contains the original ending to the Intermezzo (Variation X) as well as the original ending to the last variation.
- First Urtext edition of this popular concert work
- Critical Commentary with facsimiles
- Large format performance material
About Barenreiter Urtext
What can I expect from a Barenreiter Urtext edition?
- A reliable musical text based on all available sources
- A description of the sources
- Information on the genesis and history of the work
- Valuable notes on performance practice
- Includes an introduction with critical commentary explaining source discrepancies and editorial decisions
... AND PRACTICAL
- Page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- A well-presented layout and a user-friendly format
- Excellent print quality
- Superior paper and binding