High voices, melodic instrument, basso continuo
72 Solo Cantatas for Voice, Instrument and Basso continuo. Composed by Georg Philipp Telemann (1681-1767). Edited by Gustav Fock; Ute Poetzch. This edition: urtext edition. In a folder. Barenreiter Urtext. Advent and Christmas Cantatas. Score and set of parts; Urtext Edition. 63/18/24 pages. Baerenreiter Verlag #BA05891. Published by Baerenreiter Verlag (BA.BA05891).
Item Number: BA.BA05891
ISBN 9790006533169. 31 x 24.3 cm inches.
When Telemann issued his first annual cycle of printed cantatas, Der Harmonische Gottesdienst ( Hamburg , 1725-6), he was already one of the leading cantata composers of his time. Thanks to their brevity and their simple scoring, the 72 solo cantatas have remained very popular to the present day.
These editions (BA 5891 through to BA 5896) divide the annual cycle into cantatas for high voice and cantatas for medium voice. Each series spreads the works over three volumes accompanied by separate parts for solo instrument and continuo. The cantatas follow the order of the liturgical year, beginning with the Christmas season and continuing with Easter and Trinity.
Being practically minded, Telemann arranged the ambitus of the vocal parts so that the cantatas for medium voice are 'also suitable for an ordinary alto or bass'.
Similarly, the solo instruments are suitable for violin, oboe, recorder or flute.
- Interesting solo cantatas for use in church services
- Urtext from the Telemann Edition
- Separate parts for instrument and continuo
About Barenreiter Urtext
What can I expect from a Barenreiter Urtext edition?
- A reliable musical text based on all available sources
- A description of the sources
- Information on the genesis and history of the work
- Valuable notes on performance practice
- Includes an introduction with critical commentary explaining source discrepancies and editorial decisions
... AND PRACTICAL
- Page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- A well-presented layout and a user-friendly format
- Excellent print quality
- Superior paper and binding