Strings Piano Accompaniment; Viola (Viola and Piano)
SKU: HL.51481035 Viola and Piano
. Composed by Felix Bartholdy Mendelssohn. Edited by Ernst Herttrich. Arranged by Klaus Schilde and Tabea Zimmermann. Sheet music. Paperbound. Henle Music Folios. With marked and unmarked string parts. Classical. Softcover. 52 pages. G. Henle #HN1035. Published by G. Henle (HL.51481035).
ISBN 9790201810355. UPC: 884088648121. 9.25x12.25x0.175 inches.
Mendelssohn's viola sonata is an early work which remained unpublished in his lifetime. The autograph is dated “d. 14 Febr. 1824.” Thus Mendelssohn was 15 years old when he completed the sonata. It assuredly numbers amongst his most mature early chamber music works. The key already indicates the seriousness with which the composer set to work. The first movement is preceded by a short adagio introduction. The middle movement, a menuetto, retains the key of c minor and not even the trio with its chorale-like melody lightens the minor mood. The closing movement is an andante with eight variations. This Urtext edition is a welcome addition to the scant classical-romantic viola repertoire. “...just on par with the historically high-class print quality, the Mendelssohn Sonata in C minor for viola and piano found between these particular pages is exactly what you'd expect it to be: superb in every sense...With so few pieces of preeminent repertoire for this alto instrument, Mendelssohn delivers an opportunity for violists to perform and explore music that's deep, lyrical, challenging, and hauntingly beautiful.” –Strings magazine.
About Henle Urtext
What I can expect from Henle Urtext editions:
- error-free, reliable musical texts based on meticulous musicological research - fingerings and bowings by famous artists and pedagogues
- preface in 3 languages with information on the genesis and history of the work
- Critical Commentary in 1 – 3 languages with a description and evaluation of the sources and explaining all source discrepancies and editorial decisions
- most beautiful music engraving
- page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- excellent print quality and binding
- largest Urtext catalogue world-wide
- longest Urtext experience (founded 1948 exclusively for "Urtext" editions)