Piano (Piano solo)
SKU: HL.51481406 Piano
. Composed by Bela Bartok. Edited by Lá, Somfai, and szló. Sheet Music. Paperbound. Henle Music Folios. Christmas, Classical. Softcover. 34 pages. G. Henle #HN1406. Published by G. Henle (HL.51481406).
ISBN 9790201814063. UPC: 888680786847. 9.0x12.0x0.153 inches. Fingering: Bela Bartok.
Bartók's Romanian Christmas Carols are based on folk melodies that originated in a pagan celebration of the winter solstice, and which he felt gave “the impression of a fiery, war-like type of song, rather than a pious and religious one.” Nevertheless, he chose 20 melodies from this collection of “colinde” and published them under the title of “Christmas Carols.” In the first edition of 1918they were conceived for childrens hands and so were published “without octaves”; but in his revised edition of 1936, which we present here, Bartók added an appendix featuring alternative “concert versions,” confirming that these miniatures are also perfectly suited for public performance. Our Urtext edition is based on that of the Bartók Complete Edition, and for the first time integrates these concert variants directly into the musical text. We also offer the original melodies and translations of the texts of these colinde to provide an insight into the origins of this rather different kind of Christmas music.
About Henle Urtext
What I can expect from Henle Urtext editions:
- error-free, reliable musical texts based on meticulous musicological research - fingerings and bowings by famous artists and pedagogues
- preface in 3 languages with information on the genesis and history of the work
- Critical Commentary in 1 – 3 languages with a description and evaluation of the sources and explaining all source discrepancies and editorial decisions
- most beautiful music engraving
- page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- excellent print quality and binding
- largest Urtext catalogue world-wide
- longest Urtext experience (founded 1948 exclusively for "Urtext" editions)