Piano solo - SMP Level 10 (Advanced)
SKU: HL.51480423 Piano Solo
. Composed by Johann Sebastian Bach. Edited by Davitt Moroney. Sheet Music. Paperbound. Henle Music Folios. Pages: XI and 124. Classical. Softcover. 136 pages. G. Henle #HN423. Published by G. Henle (HL.51480423).
ISBN 9790201804231. UPC: 884088176167. 9.25x12.25x0.443 inches.
Bach's death meant that the Art of Fugue was left unfinished. In his father's manuscript, Carl Philipp Emanuel noted exactly where the last fugue of the Art of Fugue broke off: “While working on this fugue, in which the name Bach appears in the countersubject, the author died.” Our editor Davitt Moroney brings the fugue to a close with 30 supplementary measures. There has been frequent speculation about what type of scoring would be most appropriate for the piece, particularly since Bach wrote the individual parts in score form and left no information about instrumentation. Certainly, strict fugues can be found in any ensemble scoring: this had been normal for centuries. It is remarkable, though, how the cycle can easily be played on the harpsichord or piano – a strong argument for keyboard performance.
About Henle Urtext
What I can expect from Henle Urtext editions:
- error-free, reliable musical texts based on meticulous musicological research - fingerings and bowings by famous artists and pedagogues
- preface in 3 languages with information on the genesis and history of the work
- Critical Commentary in 1 – 3 languages with a description and evaluation of the sources and explaining all source discrepancies and editorial decisions
- most beautiful music engraving
- page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- excellent print quality and binding
- largest Urtext catalogue world-wide
- longest Urtext experience (founded 1948 exclusively for "Urtext" editions)
About SMP Level 10 (Advanced)
Very advanced level, very difficult note reading, frequent time signature changes, virtuosic level technical facility needed.