Violin - Level 5
Composed by Nicolo Paganini. Edited by Daniela Macchione. This edition: urtext edition. Paperback. Barenreiter Urtext. Performance score, anthology. Opus 1 / 24. Baerenreiter Verlag #BA09424_00. Published by Baerenreiter Verlag (BA.BA09424).
ISBN 9790006540815. 31 x 24.3 cm inches. Language: English/German. Preface: Daniela Macchione.
The 24 “Caprices” by Paganini form a coherent group of works which require the highest degree of technical expertise. Since their publication in 1817 the “Caprices” have remained the defining milestone of violin technique.
Bärenreiter’s scholarly-critical edition is based on the autograph and early prints from various European publishers. The original beaming and articulation have been maintained, thereby setting this new edition apart from the many publications of the last 200 years which incorporated changes and emendations by famous violin virtuosos.
In addition to the daunting “Caprices”, this is the first time that the 24 “Contradanze Inglesi” for solo violin have been published. These simple pieces are each 16 measures in length and exploit various techniques, thus providing a wonderful addition to the solo violin repertoire.
This edition offers a spacious layout allowing plenty of room to add personal fingering and bowing. A historical introduction in English and German discusses the genesis of the works and traces their influence on violin virtuosos. A source description and critical commentary round out this unique edition.
About Barenreiter Urtext
What can I expect from a Barenreiter Urtext edition?
- A reliable musical text based on all available sources
- A description of the sources
- Information on the genesis and history of the work
- Valuable notes on performance practice
- Includes an introduction with critical commentary explaining source discrepancies and editorial decisions
... AND PRACTICAL
- Page-turns, fold-out pages, and cues where you need them
- A well-presented layout and a user-friendly format
- Excellent print quality
- Superior paper and binding