There are currently no items in your cart.
Were You There?
Were You There? by John P. Lynch. For concert band (Flute 1, Flute 2, Oboe 1/2, English Horn, Clarinet in Bb 1, Clarinet in Bb 2, Clarinet in Bb 3, Bass Clarinet in Bb, Bassoon, Contrabassoon, Alto Saxophone 1/2, Tenor Saxophone, Baritone Saxophone, Trumpet in Bb 1, Trumpet in Bb 2, Trumpet in Bb 3, Horn i). Band Music. Grade 4. Score only. Duration 6:10. Published by C. Alan Publications (CN.11031).
Were You There? is a tone poem based on the traditional hymn tune. Tender, flowing themes permeate the work as the rich scoring carries the listener to many levels of musical expression.
Were You There? is a tone poem based on the traditional hymn tune. The title becomes a philosophical and rhetorical question as the piece examines various contemporary views of the message of religion. A primary unifying musical element is the river motive, marked 'flowing,' a metaphor for life. Two new themes are introduced: One, marked 'with conviction,' presents a righteous viewpoint whose interpretation of the message of Christianity is literal, and a second, marked 'tenderly,' that expresses an interpretation based on compassion. The ensuing section is a transformation of the river motive. An ongoing ostinato creates a sense of stasis and introduces a third point of view reflecting Buddhist philosophy, in which the themes are posed as questions. A brief piano solo, a cyclic idea that could go on forever, alludes briefly to the atheist point of view. This section culminates in the most straightforward presentation of 'Were You There?' The piece draws to a close with a forceful statement of the three main themes in juxtaposition to the hymn tune, which appears in augmentation in the horn and chime parts. The final conclusion is thus left to the listener.
Were You There?
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Were You There?
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
Instrument: Alto Saxophone Sheet Music B-Flat Clarinet Sheet Music B-Flat Trumpet Sheet Music Baritone Saxophone Sheet Music Bass Clarinet Sheet Music Bassoon Sheet Music English Horn Sheet Music Flute Sheet Music Oboe Sheet Music Tenor Saxophone Sheet Music
Ensemble: Concert Band Music
Level: Grade 4