There are currently no items in your cart.
Score and Parts
Set of Parts
Ukrainian Carol (Holiday). By David Madeira. Percussion Ensemble. For Percussion Ensemble (marimba 1 (4.3-octave), marimba 2 (4.5-octave), marimba 3 (4.5-octave), marimba 4 (5-octave), crotales). Medium difficult. Score and parts. Duration 5:40. Published by C. Alan Publications (CN.16960).
This arrangement of Carol of the Bells looks back to the Ukrainian version for inspiration, realizing the folk theme for percussive timbres. It is scored for 4 marimbas plus crotales. A beautiful arrangement!
This popular theme of the Christmas season is based on a Ukrainian folk tune, "Shchedryk," which actually has nothing to do with Christmas. First arranged for voices by Ukrainian composer Mikhail Leontovich, it was later adapted to an English text by Peter Wilhousky and given the Christmas-themed title "Carol of the Bells." This arrangement looks back to the Ukrainian version for inspiration, realizing the folk theme for percussive timbres. For the most effective performance, the ideal formation for this piece is to have one performer per marimba, the instruments arranged in a line across the stage, from marimba 1 at stage right to marimba 4 at stage left, and the crotale player between marimbas 2 and 3. However, in case of spatial constraints or a limited number of instruments, players 1 and 4 may share an instrument, as may players 2 and 3. In either case, memorization is strongly encouraged so that the audience may easily see and hear the melodic motives being passed between all four marimba players. Performers should pay careful attention to the multiple layers of dynamics occurring simultaneously, as each player may be shifting back and forth between those layers even within the course of one measure. An obvious example is the shared melody over the ostinato in the opening section. The same idea occurs elsewhere, such as in mm. 76-77, where the sixteenth-note runs gradually crescendo beneath the octave bursts.
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ensemble: Percussion Ensemble Music
Genre: Christmas Sheet Music