Voice and piano
Song Cycle. Composed by Matyas Seiber (1905-1960). This edition: ED 10329; Saddle-stitch. Vocal Music. With Text language: English. Composed 1953. 21 pages. Duration 15 minutes. Published by Schott Music (SD.49029398).
Item Number: SD.49029398
This substantial cycle was written for the tenor Peter Pears, and first performed by him in 1953 at the Royal Festival Hall, London, with the distinguished pianist Noel Mewton-Wood. It follws the example of Britten's Serenade in setting a variety of poets, and the set is framed by settings of the same words by Goethe in translation by Louis MacNeice, the unifying factor being presumably the quality of the poetry. The angry setting of Timor Mortis, using the well-known Dies Irae tune is the emotional hear of the cycle.John Turner 2010.
- Invocation Lyrics by Goethe, Translation Louis MacNeice
- Sonnet Lyrics by William Shakespeare
- Tears Lyrics by Anonymous
- Timor Mortis Lyrics by William Dunbar
- Epilogue Lyrics by Goethe, Translation Louis MacNeice