There are currently no items in your cart.
Three Celtic Dances composed by Brian Balmages. For concert band. Concert Band. FJH Symphonic Band. Score only. Full set (score and parts) also available: B1358. Grade 4. Score only. Duration 7 minutes. Published by The FJH Music Company Inc (FJ.B1358S).
This three-movement work is based on various Scottish dance forms and includes a combination of authentic and original music. The opening Reel begins with a light-hearted presentation of the melody in typical Scottish fashion. As the movement develops, rhythms and harmonies become more intense and driving before a burst of percussion brings it to a sudden close. The second movement, Air, uses solo alto saxophone in a lush and lyrical setting of Well May I Behold My Faithful Brown-Hair'd Maid. The theme, presented in two contrasting settings, becomes extremely powerful with soaring countermelodies before returning to the tranquility of the opening. The final movement, Jig, makes use of expansive percussion as it celebrates one of the most well-known Celtic dance forms. The composer layers themes and various sounds throughout as the work builds to a furious conclusion supported by an enormous battery of percussion. Thrilling!
Based on three different Scottish dance forms, this work explores a wide variety of Celtic styles using both authentic dance tunes and original material. The first movement, Reel, is in cut time as is typical of all reels. It is based on the tune The Last Pint of Ale, a lively, spirited tune. In this case, the melody itself never changes - the movement is constantly developed with surrounding material. The second movement, Air, is based on the tune Well May I Behold My Faithful Brown-Hair'd Maid, a slow lyrical tune in 4/4. It presents the melody in two contrasting settings - the first in a chamber music setting with solo saxophone before a brief transition to a full ensemble presentation in an emotional and powerful setting. The movement closes with a brief return to solo saxophone in a delicate texture. The final movement, Jig, is a lively dance in 6/8 and is one of the most recognized Celtic dance forms. Loosely based on the tune Highlander's Jig, the movement weaves in and out of the source material as it also explores original ideas. All three movements stand on their own and may be performed individually if desired. Of particular interest is the last movement, which may be used as a short concert closer or encore.
About FJH Symphonic Band
Appropriate for accomplished high school, college, and professional groups. Includes expanded instrumentation and ranges. Grades 4 - 5
Three Celtic Dances
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Three Celtic Dances
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
Ensemble: Concert Band Music
Level: Grade 4