The Violin - A Collection
Composed by Various. Music Sales America. Contemporary, 20th Century, Classical. 104 pages. Chester Music #CH69641. Published by Chester Music (HL.14033399).
Item Number: HL.14033399
ISBN 1844499537. 9x12 inches.
In February 2005, the Music Sales Group presented a concert of violin music at the Wigmore Hall in London to launch the Wigmore Hall New Music Fund, set up to promote the commissioning and performance of new works for the important international recital venue. This title contains works from that performance by fourteen of the very best contemporary composers, including Philip Glass, Kaija Saariaho and Peter Maxwell Davies, as well as world premieres from Joby Talbot, Craig Armstrong, John Tavener and Judith Weir. The pieces in this book have been specially selected for their accessibility, making this folio suitable for players of a wide range of abilities from elementary level (1st to 3rd position only) to shorter but more challenging, adventurous and unusual works. The set as a whole represents the large amount of variety and character alive in today's top-level compositions. An excellent repertoire source that is fresh, exciting and highly accessible.
- Buskin (Six Country Dances No.2) Performed by Richard Rodney Bennett
- For Latin Lovers Performed by Brian Chapple
- Four Scottish Dances Op.59 No.3 Performed by Malcolm Arnold; Arr. David Gedge
- Fragment For The Virgin Performed by John Tavener
- Knee 2 Performed by Philip Glass
- Miserere Paraphrase Performed by Michael Nyman
- Mouvements Perpetuels (arr. Jascha Heifetz) Performed by Francis Poulenc
- Mrs Linklater's Tune Performed by Sir Peter Maxwell Davies
- My Love Is Like A Red Red Rose (arr. Craig Armstrong)
- Nocturne Performed by Kaija Saariaho
- Rain And Mist Are On The Mountain, I'd Better Buy Some Shoes Performed by Judith Weir
- Recitativo E Arioso Performed by Witold Lutoslawski
- Ritual Fire Dance (El Amor Brujo) (arr. Paul Kochanski) Performed by Manuel De Falla
- The Ladies' Misfortune (Six Country Dances No.3) Performed by Richard Rodney Bennett
- Vanishing Point Performed by Joby Talbot