There are currently no items in your cart.
The Seven Last Words of Our Savior on the Cross composed by Franz Joseph Haydn (1732-1809). Edited by Wilhelm Weismann. For SATB Vocal Soli, SATB Chorus, Piano. (Text Language: German). Choral. Piano/Vocal Score. Text Language: German. Duration 35 minutes. Published by Edition Peters (PE.P01371).
With Text Language: German. Choral.
As the composer explained this work: "Some fifteen years ago I was requested by a Canon of Cadiz to compose instrumental music on the seven last words of Our Savior on the Cross. It was customary at the Cathedral of Cadiz to produce an oratorio every year during Lent, the effect of performance being not a little enhanced by the following circumstances. The walls, windows, and pillars of the church were hung with black cloth, and only one large lamp hanging from the center of the roof broke the solemn darkness. At midday, the doors were closed and the ceremony began. After a short service the bishop ascended the pulpit, pronounced the first of the seven words (or sentences), and delivered a discourse thereon. This ended, he left the pulpit and fell to his knees before the altar. The interval was filled by music. The bishop then in like manner pronounced the second word, and then the third, and so on, the orchestra following on the conclusion of each discourse. My composition was subject to these conditions, and it was no easy task to compose seven adagios lasting ten minutes each, and to succeed each other without fatiguing the listeners; indeed, I found it quite impossible to confine myself to the appointed limits." (The work was commissioned in 1787 for the Good Friday Service at the Grotto Santa Cueva near Cadiz in southern Spain; Haydn added vocal parts to the orchestral work between 1795 and 1796, and published a version for String Quartet -- Peters Edition EP289E)
Die sieben letzen Worte unseres Erlosers am Kreuze (Piano/Vocal Score; German only); orchestral parts are available on a rental basis.
The Seven Last Words of Our Savior on the Cross
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
The Seven Last Words of Our Savior on the Cross
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More by this Composer: Franz Joseph Haydn Sheet Music Franz Joseph Haydn Voice Sheet Music Franz Joseph Haydn Choir Sheet Music Franz Joseph Haydn 4-Part Sheet Music Franz Joseph Haydn SATB Sheet Music
Format: Vocal Score