There are currently no items in your cart.
The Essential Tin Whistle Toolbox composed by Grey Larsen. For Tin Whistle. Perfect binding, Methods. Celtic/Irish. Beginning-Intermediate. Book/CD Set. 192 pages. Published by Mel Bay Publications, Inc (MB.99129BCD).
ISBN 9780786668915. Celtic/Irish. 8.75 x 11.75 inches.
All the tools the beginner, novice, and intermediate tin whistle player needs in order to progress to a high level of competence in Irish music. Includes an "Orientation to Traditional Irish Music", which puts the music in context, with information on scales and modes, dance tune types, the historical roots of whistle playing, and advice for learning by ear. The book is full of thorough instruction, exercises, and musical examples: from holding, fingering, breathing, and blowing, on up to advanced ornamentation, phrasing, and variations. Features a simple and penetrating new approach to understanding and notating ornamentation that goes beyond any previous method. Also includes history and theory of traditional Irish tin whistle music. For those who don't read music, almost all the exercises and examples appear on the companion CD.
- Acknowledgements and Credits
- SECTION 1: First Matters
- CHAPTER 1: Orientation to Traditional Irish Music for Tin Whistle Players
- CHAPTER 2: A Brief Look into the History and Development of the Tin Whistle
- CHAPTER 3: Holding and Blowing the Tin Whistle
- CHAPTER 4: On Practice
- CHAPTER 5: Getting Comfortable with Fingering
- CHAPTER 6: The Language Analogy
- SECTION 2: Ornamentation
- Introduction to Ornamentation
- CHAPTER 7: Cuts
- CHAPTER 8: Strikes
- CHAPTER 9: Slides
- CHAPTER 10: Long Rolls
- CHAPTER 11: Short Rolls
- SECTION 3: Tonguing, Phrasing, and Use of the Breath
- CHAPTER 12: Tonguing
- CHAPTER 13: Musical Breathing
- SECTION 4: Final Matters
- CHAPTER 14: The Language Analogy Revisited
- CHAPTER 15: Practice Revisited, and Some Thoughts on "Muscle Memory"
- Appendix A: Fingering Chart
- Appendix B: Contents of the Companion CD
- About the Author
- Also by Grey Larsen
- Index of Tune Titles
- General Index
The Essential Tin Whistle Toolbox
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
The Essential Tin Whistle Toolbox
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
Instrument: Tin Whistle Sheet Music