There are currently no items in your cart.
The Engulfed Cathedral composed by Claude Debussy (1862-1918). Arranged by Merlin Patterson. Concert band. Suitable for the most advanced high school bands, community, college, university, and professional bands. Grade 5. Conductor Full Score. Duration 6:30. Published by Manhattan Beach Music (MH.1-59913-081-5).
In this transcription of Debussy's THE ENGULFED CATHEDRAL, I have tried to create a work that will display the tonal beauty as well as the power and grandeur of the modern symphonic band. Unusual instrumental combinations have been used throughout, and great care has been given to subtle shadings of color and texture. THE ENGULFED CATHEDRAL (La Cathedrale engloutie) is No. 10 Book I of Claude Debussy's PRELUDES; it is one of his best known and most popular works, not only in its original version for solo piano, but also in its numerous transcriptions, the most notable of which is the orchestral setting by Leopold Stokowski. THE ENGULFED CATHEDRAL depicts an old legend from Brittany: To punish the people for their sins, the Cathedral of Ys is engulfed by the sea. Each sunrise the townspeople watch as the sunken cathedral rises from the water and then sinks slowly into the ocean. Ensemble instrumentation: 2 Piccolo, 4 Flute I, 4 Flute II, 2 Oboe I, 2 Oboe II, 2 English Horn (opt.), 3 Bassoon I & II, 4 Bb Clarinet I, 4 Bb Clarinet II, 4 Bb Clarinet III, 3 Bb Bass Clarinet, 2 Eb Contra Alto Clarinet, 2 Bb Contrabass Clarinet, 3 Eb Alto Saxophone I, 3 Eb Alto Saxophone II, 2 Bb Tenor Saxophone, 2 Eb Baritone Saxophone, 3 Bb Trumpet I, 3 Bb Trumpet II, 3 Bb Trumpet III, 3 F Horn I & II, 3 F Horn III & IV, 6 Trombone I & II, 3 Bass Trombone, 3 Euphonium B.C., 2 Euphonium T.C., 6 Tuba, 4 String Bass (opt.), 2 Celeste (opt.), 2 Harp (opt.), 2 Piano (opt.), 2 Timpani, 8 Percussion Score: Bells, Chimes, Vibraphone I, Vibraphone II & Crotales, Suspended Cymbal, Gong, & Bass Drum. PERCUSSION SCORE freely transcribed by Merlin Patterson. Bells: medium hard rubber mallets; hard plastic or brass mallets, Chimes: medium mallets; soft mallet, Vibraphone I (motor on): soft yarn mallets; hard yarn or rubber mallets; medium yarn mallets; soft yarn or rubber mallets; soft yarn mallets, Vibraphone II (motor off) & Crotales: medium soft yarn mallets; bass or cello bow; hard yarn or rubber mallets; medium yarn mallets; soft rubber mallets, Suspended Cymbal, Gong, Bass Drum.
The Engulfed Cathedral
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
The Engulfed Cathedral
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ensemble: Concert Band Music
Genre: Impressionism Sheet Music
Format: Conductor Score
Level: Grade 5