The Art of Comping
Stille Nacht. Composed by Jim McNeely. Jazz. Book. Published by Advance Music (AV.9014).
Item Number: AV.9014
Take advantage of this over-stock pricing while supplies last.
The Art of Comping is a "hands-on" (first-of-its-kind) workbook which enables you to practice an often-neglected aspect of jazz piano playing. The text points out important aspects of the comping and offers a number of specific suggestions and chord voicings for each tune. You hear the author comp and you get a chance to comp with the same rhythm section, without the piano track. Rhythm section: Jim Mcneely - piano, Rufus Reid - bass, Victor Lewis - drums, soloists: Art Farmer - flugelhorn, Steve Erquiaga - guitar, Bobby Watson - alto sax. Text: English / French / German. 96 pages.
- Blues For Wanda Performed by Jim McNeely
- Crossroads (medium tempo swinger) Performed by Bobby Watson
- 'Round Midnight (Ballad) Performed by Thelonious Monk, Cootie Williams
- Karita (medium tempo Latin) Performed by Bobby Watson
- Give And Take (uses structural elements, similar to Herbie Hancock's Dolphin Dance) Performed by Jim McNeely
- Last Minute (uptempo modal) Performed by Jim McNeely