There are currently no items in your cart.
The American Wind Band: A Cultural History composed by Richard Hansen. Music Education. Book. Text language: English. 500 pages. Published by GIA Publications (GI.G-6371).
ISBN 1579994679. With Text language: English. Music Education.
"Professor Hansen has written a masterful research document that is long overdue in the wind band profession. This book will quickly become the preferred text of every university band history and literature course. The book is beautifully written, well organized, and contains new information not discussed in previous publications. Thank you, Dr. Hansen, for this valuable addition to our profession."
--Ray E. Cramer President, Midwest Band and Orchestra Clinic Director of Bands, Indiana University
Sousa made more than $1 million per year (in today's dollars) at the height of his career.
"The Star-Spangled Banner" didn't become the U.S. National Anthem until more than a century after it was written--and its tune comes from a rowdy drinking song.
Percy Grainger was a pacifist and opposed U.S. involvement in World War I--at the same time his music became a rallying cry for the troops.
Richard F. Goldman reported directly to the President of the United States about the condition of the service bands during World War II, one of the few bandleaders ever to have such direct access to high-ranking government officials.
Band historian Richard K. Hansen's The American Wind Band: A Cultural History is the most thorough work of its kind ever published. In Part 1, he explores the seminal traditions of the ancient Aztecs, the Colonial drum and fife troops, the Golden Age of bands, and the founding of the modern wind band movement--and the story continues to evolve to this day.
Part 2 takes the major events from Part 1 and puts them in the context of U.S. history, the related arts in Western civilization, and other musical events in America. This outstanding reference is presented in table form, making it an indispensable resource for all band directors and music historians.
In Part 3, Hansen points to directions for future research, and looks to a bright future for the wind band tradition.
This breakthrough book confirms the important role the wind band has played--and continues to play--in American culture and history.Richard K. Hansen is Director of Bands at St. Cloud State University, where he conducts the Symphonic Wind Ensemble and Chamber Winds. He teaches graduate and undergraduate courses in conducting, history of music, and history of wind band literature.
The American Wind Band: A Cultural History
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
The American Wind Band: A Cultural History
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ensemble: Concert Band Music
Genre: Americana Sheet Music
Format: Collection / Songbook