Swingin' On the Bars
Xylophone, metallophone, percussion and voice
A Collection of Jazz Standards. Arranged by Ron Carter and Glenda Cosenza. Classroom/Pre-School; Orff School Orchestra; Other Classroom. Instructional, Jazz and Standards. Instructional book and songbook. With instructional text, drum notation, standard notation and lyrics. 88 pages. Published by Alfred Music (AP.BMR08021).
Item Number: AP.BMR08021
ISBN 0739040634. 9x12 inches.
Swingin' on the Bars was written to give middle school general music students the opportunity to learn about jazz, America's "original brand of classical music," using hands-on, performance-based activities. The barred instruments, which are found in music classrooms where the pedagogy of Carl Orff is used, provide a means for students with minimal instrumental training to experience jazz firsthand through direct experience and performance participation. This collection is intended as a medium through which teachers can help teir students learn about the idioms of jazz in ways that adolescents best enjoy learning: through active participation and exploration. Presenting a variety of music arranged for Orff instrumentation in a swingin' style, this delightful collection is sure to engage your students' creativity while building musical skills. The sequence of tunes in this collection represents difficulty levels in terms of mallet technique requirements and challenges resulting from the level of harmonic complexity. Each piece is preceded by a suggested teaching sequence and listening resources.
- Duke's Place Composed by Duke Ellington
- St. Thomas Composed by Sonny Rollins
- Java Jive Composed by Ben Oakland
- Lester Leaps In Composed by Lester Young
- Summertime Composed by George And Ira Gerswhin, Dubose And Dorothy Heyward
- Caravan Composed by Duke Ellington, Irving Mills, And Juan Tizol
- Swing Low, Sweet Chariot Composed by Spiritual
- A String of Pearls Composed by Jerry Gray
- I'm Beginning to See the Light Composed by Duke Ellington And Harry James
- Ain't Misbehavin' Composed by Thomas "Fats" Waller And Harry Brooks