There are currently no items in your cart.
String Quartet No 5 composed by Donald Martino (1931-2005). For Violin, Violin, Viola, Cello. This edition: Parts. Contemporary Classical. Conservatory. Sheet music. Published by Dantalian, Inc. (DA.DSE535A-D).
Donald Martino has produced five string quartets that pretty much span his career. Thirty years passed between the early quartets and number four which appeared in 1984 [for the Juilliard Quartet and recorded by them]; Saturday night [Jan 28] brought the premiere of the fifth, in a skilled and sympathetic performance by the Lydian String Quartet. The Pulitzer Prize-winning composer turns 74 this year, and has survived a series of illnesses that would have knocked the music out of most of the rest of us. Instead Martino continues regularly to compose works characterized by feeling, color, imagination and depth, all of it articulated by complex and impeccable workmanship. The Fifth Quartet begins with a solemn duet between violin and cello that soon draws the others into its sonorous discourse. The second movement begins in whizzing unisons, then pits pairs of instruments against each other in a fairly intricate game of tag. The third movement sounds like a kind of intricate reflection and development of the opening as the finale appears to be a more intricate reflection of the second. There is playfulness, edge, sensuousness and soulfulness in the piece. It was revealing to hear Op 131 [Beethoven] in the context of the Martino -- they begin in similar ways, move across contrasting emotional landscapes with similar fluidity, and accumulate internal memories they can relate to. - Boston Globe (2004, 20 minutes).
String Quartet No 5
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
String Quartet No 5
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ensemble: String Quartet Music
Genre: 20th Century Sheet Music
Format: Set of Parts