Scottish Airs for Pairs
C Instruments - Beginning
Composed by Matt Seattle. Saddle-stitched, Solos. Mally's Presents. Scottish. Book. Published by Dave Mallinson Publications (MB.AD103).
Item Number: MB.AD103
ISBN 9781899512720. 8.25 x 11.75 inches.
This is the third book in the Airs for Pairs series and the first to focus on the music of one country. Drawn from centuries of Scottish music, the selection includes well-known tunes alongside some rarer gems, as well as two fine modern compositions: my thanks to Brian McNeill and Martin Marroni for permission to include these. The book also includes one arrangement each by Nathaniel Gow and William C Honeyman as interesting examples of previously published duets.
Older tunes frequently exist in multiple versions, so while the harmonies work with the versions here they will not necessarily go with different versions which you may already know. Bowings have been included as a guide for the less experienced, but more experienced players will feel free to use their own. The harmonies are there to enhance the tunes, so it is often effective to play the tune solo or in unison first before adding the harmony, which should never drown the melody. Ornamentation is an integral part of this music but it has not been written in, leaving scope for personal style and the exuberance of the moment - enjoy the music!
- Alloa House
- Corn Riggs
- Da Full Rigged Ship
- Da New Rigged Ship
- Green Grows the Rashes, O
- Gudewife of Peebles Performed by Nathaniel Gow
- Jock O' Hazeldean
- Miss Baird of Saughton Hall's Allamande, or Valtz
- My Love is But a Lassie Yet
- Old Head Pier Performed by Martin Marroni
- Peace And Plenty Performed by Brian McNeill
- Port Lennox
- Sitting in the Stern of a Boat
- The Banks of the Deveron Performed by William Christie
- The Blue Bells Of Scotland
- The Bonnie Lass O' Bon-Accord Performed by James Scott Skinner
- The Fisherman's Song for Attracting the Seals
- The Mason's Apron
- The Mill, Mill, O
- The Shepherds of Yarrow
- Ye Banks And Braes