There are currently no items in your cart.
Saul (Oratorio). Composed by George Frideric Handel (1685-1759). Edited by Felix Loy. For SATB vocal soli, SSATB choir, 2 flutes, 2 oboes, 2 bassoons, 2 trumpets, 3 trombones, timpani, 2 violins, viola, harp, bells, organ, basso continuo. This edition: Linen cover. Oratorios. Full score (clothbound edition). Text language: German/English. Composed 1739. HWV 53. 304 pages. Published by Carus Verlag (CA.5505300).
ISBN M-007-14336-7. With Text language: German/English. Oratorios.
Saul, published for the first time in the version conducted by Handel himself. Saul is one of the most dramatic of Handel's oratorios. To a greater extent than almost any other oratorio it reveals with its gripping dramatic power its proximity to opera of its time. The score demands what was at the time Handel's most varied orchestra. The normal opera orchestra of the day was augmented by trombones, harp, solo organ, carillon (Glockenspiel) and large kettledrums. The choir functions for the first time as a central participant in dramatic action, while also undertaking commentating functions as in a Greek tragedy. This new edition makes use for the first time of musical material revealed by the latest Handel research, based as its most important source on the conducting score from which Handel himself directed his performances. Only this research has shown which arias, choruses, recitatives and instrumental pieces, after he had made numerous corrections in his autograph, Handel chose for his performances, and in what order they were given. The result has produced, apart from many changes of details (e.g. autograph instructions concerning the use of the organ), uncommon ordering of individual pieces, and passages with altered notes.
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
More by this Composer: George Frideric Handel Sheet Music George Frideric Handel Voice Sheet Music George Frideric Handel B-Flat Trumpet Sheet Music George Frideric Handel Choir Sheet Music George Frideric Handel Harp Sheet Music George Frideric Handel Percussion Sheet Music George Frideric Handel Timpani Sheet Music George Frideric Handel Trombone Sheet Music George Frideric Handel Organ Accompaniment Sheet Music George Frideric Handel 4-Part Sheet Music George Frideric Handel Mixed Choir Sheet Music George Frideric Handel SATB Sheet Music George Frideric Handel SSATB Sheet Music
Genre: Baroque Period Sheet Music