There are currently no items in your cart.
Ron Block - A Fresh Look at Bluegrass Banjo composed by Ron Block. For Banjo (5-String). Boxed, Methods. Acutab. Instructional video. Bluegrass. Beginning-Intermediate. 2-DVD Set. Duration 225 minutes. Published by Acutab Publications (MB.DRB1).
There aren't many banjos players more widely heard, or who have performed before more people, than Ron Block. Working with Alison Krauss & Union Station since 1991, Ron's distinctive banjo sound has become nearly as much a part of the group sound as Alison's voice. Ron has taught in a limited number of workshops, but this is his first instructional DVD of any kind, offering a detailed look at his unique approach to the banjo. This 2 DVD release from AcuTab begins with Ron explaining how he learned, and what resources have been useful to him, plus how he looks at both left and right hand patterns. AcuTab's John Lawless leads him through a discussion of several topics, including tone production, Ron's use of bends and chokes, how he arranges solos, and improvisation. Ron goes into great detail about his practice routine, showing examples of exercises and drills he uses to stay in shape. He discusses how to use a metronome in your practice, with several examples. He also describes a number of guitar techniques and concepts which have informed his banjo playing, such as working within "boxes," or blocks of frets, and learning to visualize and play scales and patterns both vertically and horizontally. The meat of the DVD is in the songs Ron teaches, which are played in a number of keys and tunings. You'll learn Cluck Old Hen, Tiny Broken Heart, Man Of Constant Sorrow, I'll Remember You Love In My Prayers, Everytime You Say Goodbye, Bright Sunny South, My Poor Old Heart and Smashville. Each song is played with a band before Ron breaks it down lick by lick, and is then shown (medium and slow) in a split screen orientation. Three screen orientations are available for the split screen sections, based on whether the left or right hand is of greater interest - or seeing them both at equal size. Two audio mixes are available for the band sections: normal, and banjo-heavy. 3 hours and 45 minutes on 2 DVDs, with tab booklet.
Ron Block - A Fresh Look at Bluegrass Banjo
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Ron Block - A Fresh Look at Bluegrass Banjo
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Instrument: 5-String Banjo Sheet Music
Genre: Bluegrass Sheet Music