There are currently no items in your cart.
Renaissance Solos for Mandolin composed by John Holenko. For Mandolin. Saddle-stitched, Solos. Early Music/Renaissance. Beginning-Intermediate. Book. 64 pages. Published by Mel Bay Publications, Inc (MB.98222).
ISBN 9780786651207. Early Music/Renaissance. 8.5 x 11 inches.
Most of the music in this book comes from editions or manuscripts from England in the late 1500's. There are also a few French pieces. The cittern was popular in Italy, England and France. Aside from various tunings, there were two main kinds of instruments being played during the 16th and 17th centuries: the 4 course (four sets of doubled strings), and the 6 course cittern with several editions of music to go along with both. The pieces I have chosen for this book were all written for the 4 course instrument and fall into three main categories: dance music, song arrangements and free pieces. The free pieces are basically preludes that explore the melodic range of the instrument. As the title suggests these pieces can be played very freely and need not have a very strict tempo. The dance pieces are not really meant to be danced to, but rather take their form and rhythm from the popular court dances of the time. These can be played with a wide range of overall tempo, but once a tempo is chosen, should be strictly adhered to. The song arrangements are settings of popular songs of the time as well as more formal vocal settings. Care should be taken in making the melody clear and singing. Since the range of the cittern and mandolin are the same, John Holenko has kept the melodies intact. Because of the difference in tuning however, the voicing of the harmonies have been changed so as to fit on the mandolin.
- A French Toy Performed by Anthony Holborne
- A Horne Pype Performed by Anthony Holborne
- A Jyg Performed by Anthony Holborne
- A Psalm Performed by Thomas Robinson
- Bonny Sweet Robin Performed by Anthony Holborne
- Branle de Bourgogne II Performed by Adrien Le Roy
- For Two Citterns Performed by Thomas Robinson
- Gaiarde La Royne d Escosse Performed by Hortulus Cytharae
- Galliard Performed by Richard Allison
- Galliard Passemezo Performed by Anthony Holborne
- Galliard to the Pavane Passamezo Performed by Anthony Holborne
- Go From My Window Performed by Anthony Holborne
- I Lift My Heart To Thee Performed by Thomas Robinson
- Kemp's Jig
- Maister Earles Pavane Performed by Anthony Holborne
- Old Hunt is Up
- Passing Measures Galliard Performed by Anthony Holborne
- Pavane Performed by Anthony Holborne
- Pavane Passemezo Performed by Anthony Holborne
- Prelude 1 Performed by Anthony Holborne
- Prelude Ii Performed by Anthony Holborne
- Prelude Iii Performed by Anthony Holborne
- Prelude IV Performed by Anthony Holborne
- Pretty Nancy
- Sick Sick and Very sick Performed by Thomas Robinson
- The Frogge Performed by Thomas Robinson
- The Miller Performed by Anthony Holborne
- The Voyce Performed by Anthony Holborne
- What You Will Performed by Anthony Holborne
- Wilson's Wilde
Renaissance Solos for Mandolin
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Renaissance Solos for Mandolin
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
Instrument: Mandolin Sheet Music
Format: Collection / Songbook